Wednesday, September 9, 2015

I can't believe it's already September!!'

This week as been a really good one, even though our Baptism date for Remedios for the 12th fell through. It was a bummer but she isn't ready yet and that's what she told us. I wasn't too surprised because she hasn't been reading the Book of Mormon or her pamphlets. Fransisco on the other hand, is progressing really well towards his baptismal date for the 3rd of October. He´s a 12 year old kid with less active parents, but he is going to church by himself without his parents and he really wants to learn and be a member. He´s a really great kid. 

We had one really special experience with one of our older investigators. We have been teaching Martha and her son, Juan Manuel, since we got to Santa María. Santa María is a small town, so everybody knows everybody. Also, a lot of people have nicknames here that they go by. Juan Manuel, the son of Martha, had been one of the town's alcoholics for years. He went by the nickname, El Diablo (The Devil). But he hasn't drunk for 2 months and we are helping him a lot. He´s gone to church a couple times. I don´t know why his town nickname is El Diablo...he doesn't have his two front teeth and he has a scary grin, so maybe it has to do with that. Well anyways, Martha is really interested in the church and last week we gave her a blessing because she was having a lot of pain when she was moving around. We just met with her again the other day and she told us that she was in so much pain before the blessing, but she woke up the morning after and all the pain was gone.

It was something really special for me to witness. My testimony grew a lot after hearing that and I know that Priesthood really has power. The power of God is here on the earth and we have a great responsibility to carry out his work as instruments in his hands. Priesthood blessings are real, and if we have enough faith, God can heal us. 

Also, this passed Saturday I gave my first English class in the Casa de Oracion! About 20 people showed up and the majority were investigators! It went really awesome. First, I had everybody present themselves in English. I had them say their name, how old they were, and what they liked to do. It was a bit advanced for them but I helped them out a lot. I then taught them numbers 1-100 and we played a game having to do with numbers. It was fun and a lot of people are really interested in free English classes so I imagine even more attendance this next Saturday. 

I uploading one photo this week. It´s of Elder Tello and I in our new traditional Oaxacan shirts. Yeah, we bought more last week...its hard to resist buying one every time I walk into the store :) 

Love you and I hope everyone has a great start of the school year!
¡Cuídense mucho y que tengan una semana maravillosa! 

Con Amor,
Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment