Thursday, February 26, 2015

Week 3

Happy Thursday!

I am over halfway done here at the MTC! I can't believe how fast it is going now. Its scary that I'm going to be out of here in only 2 and a half more weeks buts its also so exciting to think about.

Well I received good news yesterday! A notice came in the mail saying that I will be going to Salt Lake City on Thursday, March 5th to the Mexican Consulate. So next P-Day. I'm not sure how long it will take and when I will be able to email that day but that means I'll be getting my Visa real soon I think! 

Not much happened this past week, but there are a few cool experiences I would like to share. This past Sunday in Sacrament Meeting I got to perform in the special musical number. Elder Stott, Hermana Haws, Hermana Myers and I sang A Child's Prayer acapella. We only practiced it for like 15 minutes the night before so I was a little worried about it but not really because it's a simple song. That song has always been special to me and the Spirit was so strong when we sang it. The Spirit that I felt was undeniable. 

Sunday night devotional was one I will always remember because I got to sit in the podium seats! Elder Stott was asked to give the opening prayer, and as his companion I have to be with him at all times. I wasn't complaining! Haha there were TVs right in front of us showing the face of the speakers and the special videos that are also on the projectors, but we couldn't see the projectors from the podium. I was really hoping for a General Authority to speak for that Devotional but I knew GAs really only come on Tuesday devotionals for some reason. It was still so sweet facing 1,500 missionaries during the meeting. I tried extra hard not to fall asleep or pick my nose during that devotional because they would all be looking at me...haha just kidding I would never do that anyways ;) 

We had a great speaker for the Tuesday night devotional. I mean they're all great but there were some gems said on Tuesday night. The speakers were Gérald Caussé and his wife. He's the First Counselor of the Presiding Bishopric of the Church. I'm pretty sure he has spoken in General Conference recently. Sister Caussé talked about how the power of the Holy Ghost is a superpower. She even talked about Spiderman and Superman in her strong french accent. It was kind of funny. I never thought about it like that, but it really is super human. We have been given the power of God, nothing is more powerful. 

Brother Caussé spoke about one of the greatest missionaries to walk the earth, Paul. In 1 Corinthians chapter 2, Paul talks about how inadequate he felt. He said that he wasn't a good speaker, he had fear, and that he felt weak. Those are all things that I and a lot of us feel on a daily basis. Paul literally trembled with fear but he was able to be an incredible missionary because he relied on the power of The Lord, not the power of himself. Brother Caussé said, "It is not about the wisdom of men, but of the power of God." That is why The Lord sends out 18-19 year old young men and women to teach the restored gospel. Yes, there are older, smarter, more mature people the Lord could send but when we tremble in inadequacy, all we can do is rely on The Lord. And that is all we need. 

Here are a couple of other quotes from Brother Caussé that I really liked:

"When you are on the Lord's errand, you are entitled to His help."

"Look at yourself as the Lord looks at you."

"A bold missionary is a humble missionary."

It was such a great talk, I wonder if they post them online anywhere. Also, there is a video I want you all to watch even though it's directed towards missionaries. We watched it during class one morning and it is one of the most powerful videos I have seen in a while. I think it is only on YouTube. The title of the video is "Missionary Work and The Atonement." The video shows cuts of Elder Holland and President Eyring speaking with a video of Christ's crucifixion. It is powerful. 

Always Remember Christ and what he did for us. Recuérdele! 

Thank you for sending pictures from home! It was so awesome seeing all the snow you're getting!

Love you!!! 
Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment