Monday, April 27, 2015

One Change Down



I am officially done with my first Change on the mission! Both my comp and I are staying put here in Violetas. No surprises there. This is Elder Erikson's last 6 weeks! Crazy how time flies on the mission. The days go by so much faster than they did at home, especially in high school. I remember a day at school would feel like a century, and a day here feels like no time at all.

I think about where my next area is going to be a lot. I know I shouldn't and I love it here in the city, but every area here is so different, I am just curious and want to experience them all. I hear in the Istmo you sleep in hammocks. The houses don´t have beds, they just have hooks on the walls to set up hammocks. That sounds sweet! 

Right across the street from our house we found a sweet taco place that serves burritos! I took pictures of the menu and this sweet painting on the wall of the restaurant. Burritos are rare to find here in Mexico. Burritos are what you would call Mexican American Food. It's not an authentic Mexican dish. But the burritos at this taco place are amazing! We ordered them 3 times in the last 4 days. They´re only 27 pesos too. I also found out Burrito means "little donkey" in Spanish. I thought that was funny. 

The members here amaze me all the time. They have so many family problems and trials yet they are so strong in the gospel. We have been meeting with this 15 year old recent convert. His name is Sergio. He got baptized a few months ago and he is the only member in his family. He has so much faith but yet he has no support from his friends or family, who mock him for getting baptized. It´s kids in the church like Sergio that make the Church grow all around the world. I look at myself and see all the support and love at home, and wonder if I would have had enough faith to do what Sergio has done and is doing here.

Then there is Hermana Lucia. She is a middle aged recent convert with so many things to worry about on a daily basis, it is ridiculous. Lucia lives with her Mother, her son, her sister and a couple others who I´m not sure where they fit in the family. Well first of all her son is a total druggie. The last time we met with her, her son was totally freaking out and saying a bunch of crazy things in Spanish. Also, her Mom has Alzheimer's and has trouble remembering where or who she is. And then her sister can´t hear or talk at all. Lucia has to take care of all of them as well as work to support herself. I don´t know anything about her husband but he doesn't live with them. Members like Lucia and Sergio are an inspiration to me.

Remember to count your blessings because we are all truly blessed, and pray for those who may be struggling more than you. 

Love you all! I hope you have a great week!

Con Amor,
-Elder Smith 

No comments:

Post a Comment