Monday, May 18, 2015

Another Baptism!

Hey Family!

We had another baptism this week. We baptized two 10 year olds whose families are less active but their grandmother is super faithful and strong in the church. We have been teaching them for a while now and we finally baptized them on Saturday. Their names are Alejandro and Yandell.
 I also posted some pics of some real tacos I ate this week. They were 4.50 pesos each so I got 8 of them. They were so good. Sour cream doesnt exist here either. They put lime, salsa, and pineapple, on top of these tacos. The meat was some kind of pork. The Mexican food you would find at a Mexican restaurant isn´t authentic mexican, its a lot different.


Other than that, it was a pretty uneventful week. The week flew by though. It scary that in only a few weeks, Elder Erikson is going home and I´m getting a new compaƱero. The only thing I´m really worried about is knowing the area really well. I have never been too great with roads, street names, and directions. I´m going to have to teach my knew compaƱero the area when he gets here. I know how to get everywhere, I just don´t know what the roads are called...but I still have 3 weeks to get it down.

This week I found out a little bit why the Lord needed Elder Erikson and I in this area at this time. One day we were walking around about 20 minutes before an appointment and we decided to stop by and visit Hermana Ermila for no particular reason. We knocked on her door, and like always she invited us in with a warm smile. She´s about 70 something years old and she makes some of the best Oaxacan dishes that you can find here. We started asking her how she was doing and if she needed our help with anything. She began telling us about some recent family problems, and also all of the incredibly hard trials in her life. What she has gone through in her life, I can´t even imagine experiencing. I never have known someone go through so much. We gave her a copy of a talk given by Elder Holland. "An High Priest of Good Things to Come" and also read some scriptures with her.

She then told us right before we knocked on her door, she was having suicidal thoughts. She said that she was praying for someone to come and help her, and that we were the answer to her prayer. 

I know that if we stay diligent and faithful as missionaries (and also as non-missionaries) we can be instruments in the hands of The Lord. This experience really opened my eyes on how to be servants of The Lord and witnesses of Jesus Christ at all times. If we do this, we will see miracles in our lives. 

I hope all is well!

Love, 
Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment