Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Area #2 Santa María, Huatulco

Wow, its been a crazy couple of days. Well my companion and I a few days ago received the news that our area (Violetas 2) was going to close. When we heard that we knew for certain that both of us were going to get changed. As last week wound down we said our goodbyes to all the families and wonderful people I met while serving in Violetas for 4 1/2 months. It was tougher than I thought it was going to be. Tears were shed. I grew so close to so many people and just like that I am in a different place with different people, needing to learn everything all over again. But that is how the mission works I have learned. 

Nervously, we waited Sunday night to hear from our district leader what the changes were going to be. We received the call and they said Elder Smith will be going to Santa María, Huatulco!
The beach fronts of Huatulco, Mexico are some of the most beautiful in the world. I don´t know what I did to receive the punishment to be sent to the coast. Hahaha it is absolutely gorgeous here, and HOT. Hot and humid, I haven´t stopped sweating since I got here. My area is Santa María. It´s a small, poor village about a 30 minute bus ride away from the famous Huatulco beach fronts. Santa María is literally a jungle village. Yeah, I´m living in a jungle. 

I haven´t been able to get any pictures of Huatulco yet, but I took some pictures on the bus ride down.
It was about a 10 hour bus ride, but it went by super fast. They had tvs on the bus and we watched a bunch of movies, but they were all crappy movies, I was waiting for Jurassic World or Avengers 2 to show haha. The route to get to the coast from the city is crazy! We went through, up and over the mountains. At some points I looked down from my window and I couldn't see road or railing, just a 300 foot drop off. It was sketchy, with sharp twists and turns around the mountain ridge.

We finally got to Huatulco last night and the Zone leaders took us to our house. Oh and I forgot to mention, my new companion came with me from the city. The two elders that were here before us both left at the same time. My new companion is Elder Tello, from Cancun, Mexico. He´s used to living by beautiful beaches..haha. As soon as we got to our new house I hung up my hammock and that's where I slept last night. It was amazing because I could but the fan right under me so I didn't die of heat exhaustion in the middle of the night haha. Right now isn't the hot months of the year. In the mornings, it's actually pretty nice temperature wise. But the humidity and heat kicks in about 9 in the morning and the house is a furnace again.

Well that's my update so far, we are learning the area and the members all of today so we can get to work finding and teaching investigators!

Love you all and I hope you have a great week!

-Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment