Monday, June 20, 2016

Stuck in Oaxaca

Hey family!

Just to let you all know that I'm alive and safe :) 

I don't know if y'all have heard anything about what's going on down here in Oaxaca. I'm pretty sure its not making world-wide news but Oaxaca is pretty much chaos. 

With the elections here a couple of weeks ago and new education reforms that the President of Mexico is making, the teachers of Oaxaca along with a lot of citizens are blocking some major roads and marching around Oaxaca with machetes, burning cars and doing a bunch of crazy stuff. Blockades are pretty normal in Oaxaca but things have gotten crazy this week. 

Elder Melgar and I left Friday morning to do divisions with the assistants and Elder Melgar brought all his luggage because he finished his mission. Saturday and Sunday I was in Miahuatlan hanging out with Elder Velazquez because his companion is going home too. So now I'm back in the offices in Oaxaca. I can't go back to Nochixtlan. Nochixtlan has been blocked off by the teachers because to get to Oaxaca from Mexico City you have to pass by Nochixtlan. The teachers wanted to keep the feds and military personnel from getting to Oaxaca City. So my area is a battleground area. I saw pictures that a member showed me of Nochixtlan with hundreds of military guys with guns and shields resisting all the groups of people with machetes and torches. I saw a picture of the main road that I walk everyday and its a complete war-zone. 

Thank goodness I'm here safe in the offices! :) But I can't return to my area until who knows when. Were hearing that the teachers aren't going to back down so this might go on for a while. Right now its definitely not safe to return to Nochixtlan.

Its been a very interesting week to say the least. 
Love you all and have a great start of summer!
Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment