Monday, June 22, 2015

Queso Antiquo (Ancient Cheese)

This last week was a great week! Oh yeah and also I got really sick for the first time here in Oaxaca. I´ll start with the getting sick story. So we had divisions this last week so I was with Elder Hernandez for a day. That morning I was hungry and Elder Hernandez said that I could eat anything I could find in the fridge. I saw some Kraft cheese and bread so I decided to make a couple grilled cheese sandwiches. I went throughout that day feeling fine. The next morning I woke up with diarrhea. Which isn´t abnormal here for me. I felt good enough to go out and teach. As the day went on I started feeling worse. I felt like I shouldn't eat anything at the food, but I ate a little anyways because I feel bad when I don´t eat what the members give me. After the food, I told my compañero that I have to go rest in the house. We went back to the house and I puked and had diarrhea non stop for the rest of the day. I felt like I was going to die. Somehow a lot of the members heard and stopped by with a bunch of medicine. My compañero gave me a blessing and I fell asleep and was able to sleep without problems. In the morning I felt almost 100%.
We are pretty sure it was the cheese that I ate with the grilled sandwiches because the other Elders said it has been in their fridge for at least 5 months...thanks for telling me that now. Haha but yeah my sickness only lasted for about a day.

We have been finding a lot of new investigators and we have been really busy this week. That makes the days and the weeks go a lot faster, and it is a lot more enjoyable when you have a lot of citas. (I forgot the word for cita in English). Most of new investigators are just from knocking on doors. Our usual approach is asking people if they want to live with their families forever, and that usually gets them interested. We found this one guy, hes a 25 year old professor at some school. He´s the only atheist that I have met here in Oaxaca. He had a bunch of super tough questions but we read 2 Nephi 2 with him, and he really liked it. So were teaching him and his brother now. Shows how powerful the Book of Mormon is. The BOM when it comes to teaching is so much better than the Bible. 
To explain some of the pictures that I uploaded, we were meeting with a less active Hermano named Umberto. I asked what kind of fruit was growing on his tree. I knew they were pomegranates but I wanted to learn what it was in Spanish. I forgot the word already. Well anyways he decided to clime up on his roof and throw me down a few of them. So I took some pictures.

Also, today for P-day we hiked up a mountain to this sweet Mine. Oh yeah and before that we played some futbol on this sweet field that overlooked all of the City of Oaxaca. We hiked to the Mine and went inside. There were bats everywhere. We could only see them with the Flash of the camera because it was so dark in there. It was an awesome hike.

Everything is going great as Elder Torres as my new compañero. We get a long really well together and he is a hard worker so it´s perfect. I can tell that I am learning Spanish a lot faster. I speak English only a few times a week and when I do, it´s really weird. After two years I´m going to come home and be really awkward speaking English for a few days, just a heads up :)
I hope you all have a great Summer! And keep writing me, I love hearing from everybody!

Con Amor,
Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment